When you have an entire pyrex dish of untouched macaroni and cheese, what should you do? Chill it overnight, and then fry it. Not whole of course. Heres my step by step process in photos. Along with the recipe. (Linda, just for you I went ahead and added It ASAP hehehe xoxo)
Ok, so here is the recipe. Its very basic, and the photos give you a really clear step by step of it all.
1) make your mac and cheese the day before, put in a rectangular baking dish, you want it to be about 1″ thick. As an alternative you can put it in a round or square dish and then slice in half (like a cake layer)
2) set up your breading area. Flour, eggs, and bread crumbs. Season each with salt and pepper. That is *crucial *
3) using a biscuit cutter cut into 1″ circles. You could also slice into 1″ squares if you want.
4) Dip each piece, one at a time. First in flour, then egg, then crumbs.
5) Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment. I like to go the extra step and spray the parchment.
6) Freeze OR fry immediately.
7) Fry on the stove top in a medium sauce pan with about 3 inches of oil in it. The oil should be 350 for optimal frying. And fry till golden brown, then remove from oil and place on a papet towel to drain excess oil.
8) Serve with marinara or ketchup, or what ever sauce you prefer.
A great way to keep from wasting oil if you only fry a few at a time, strain it through a coffee filter! It keeps the debris out and from burning and lets you use the oil again!