It is that time of year again. The end of a barely there winter and the signs of spring beginning, which means, planning the backyard garden kicks into high gear! One thing I love about gardening is that each year I learn so much more, and with that knowledge can vastly improve my garden and in turn, the harvest. After talking with my friend Bill, I decided to go with seeds from Comstock, Ferre & Co., which is very similar to Baker Creek Heirloom. Bill and his wife Brandi (who by the way has an awesome blog!) gave me some of their extra seeds, how cool is that?! So I am really excited to give the new stuff a try!
Throwing in the trowel at the end of the season 2012
Things I learned last year:
- Despite what the guides say, green beans and cucumbers do not grow that well next to each other. If the cucumbers get out of control, they will strangle the green beans, and to be honest, that was really disparaging.
- Just because a tomato is little, doesn’t mean the plant will be…. My Sun Gold tomato plant grew to 10FEET last year. I am NOT kidding! TEN FREAKING FEET!!!! It grew well over my head (I am 5′ even) and then cascaded back down on the ground and ran out another 3 feet. So I guess what would actually make it 13ft?
- Squash borers can ruin your life. I am still looking for an answer to this problem, recommendations welcome!
- Don’t plant things unless you are 100% SURE your household members will eat them. Otherwise you end up with 20 pieces of squash a week and no one to eat them.
- Gasoline cans sometimes explode, always wear eye protection or large Chanel sunglasses.
- NEVER garden all day without drinking water or eating. That is a recipe for disaster, serious disaster.
- When picking raspberries for 6 hours, wear gloves if you don’t want your fingers sliced up.
- Gardening, when done well, can and will wreck havoc on your body, take good care of yourself! (which conveniently brings me to my next topic…)
I would not get through gardening and canning season without the amazing products of Three Sisters Herbals. Splits and tears in my fingers and hands from all the raspberry work, scalds all over from canning, plus all the regular gardening, pickling, preserving. It is WORK, and like all heavy duty work it is really important to take care of your body!
A few of the products Three Sisters Herbals offers
Every night before bed I would use Magic Salve. It is hand crafted in small batches from ingredients such as olive oil, calendula, chamomile flowers, chickweed, beeswax and lavender essential oil. It not only moisturizes, but soothes and heals as well. Whether I used it as a moisturizer or to sooth splits and burns, I can not convey how wonderful this salve is. Another product that kept me going is the Soothing Soak. A bountiful season of gardening and canning can REALLY take a toll on your entire body. I use the herbal soak to relieve all the aches and pains so that I can feel better and do it all again the next day. It contains herbs, sea salt, lavender and chamomile; it is like a soothing and healing tea for your entire body! Then there is the Dreamy Salt Scrub, made from epsom salt, jojoba oil, calendula, hand crushed organic lavender flowers and lavender essential oil; it is practically the definition of luxurious. Whether you use in it in the shower or the bath you will feel refreshed and renewed. Although, to be fair, all the Three Sisters Products are truly fantastic. From the Germ Away (which is ALWAYS in my humidifier and I have not gotten the Flu, just FYI) to the Bug Spray, which always accompanies us to the cabin, everything is tried and true.
The amazing Herbal Bath Soak
I happen to be good friends with Kim, the owner and creator of all the magic goodness that is Three Sisters Herbals. She, is not just a friend, she is my go to whenever I have any questions about natural healing or remedies. Since I am totally addicted to all the products, and I talk about it on facebook a lot, I asked her if she would be interested in doing a giveaway here so that you too can be as addicted as I am, and she said yes!
The Giveaway: A basket sent directly to you, full of Three Sisters Herbals Natural Spa products! Your Basket will include, Soothing Soak, Magic Salve, Dreamy Salt Scrub, Germ Away, and a Roundie. (A hand-made washcloth so fantastic you will never want a store-bought one again) So yes, you get all my favorite products!
To win and have this basket of luxury arrive at your doorstep, leave a comment below telling me which of the products you would be most excited to try. It’s as simple as that! Of course, you can earn a few more entries too!
For additional entries: (leave a comment for each one you do)
This contest is open to US residents only, and will be open from Saturday, March 2nd 2013 until Sunday March 9th, 2013 at 11:59pm. I will use random.org to select a winner. Winner will be notified on Monday March 10th, 2013 and will have 3 days to respond, if no response is received, a new winner will be chosen. All opinions and reviews of products are 100% my own, I REALLY love this stuff!! Good luck!